Eccentric Autoharp for Reason
I received an Oscar Schmidt autoharp from my mother-in-law a handful of years ago and I can’t say that I put it to good use until recently. I had always liked the way it sounded when you plucked the strings individually but it wasn’t very easy to do on a consistent basis when playing along with a piece of music. I decided that the best way to obtain this sound was to multisample each of the thirty-six strings. Those very samples are what’s contained in the Eccentric Autoharp library.
These samples are mapped in the middle four octaves and there a few round-robins set up for each note. Due to the very nature of the autoharp, other strings will vibrate sympathetically when only one is plucked. What you end up with is a very unique sound that is a cross between a harpsichord and a hammer dulcimer.
As an added bonus, I’ve also sampled all twelve chords and mapped each one to a key on the keyboard. Below shows how each chord is set up. The key marked ‘dissonance’ is all the strings being struck without any chord key pressed.
Dissonance – C1
C Seven – C2
D Minor – D2
E Seven – E2
F Major – F2
G Minor – G2
A Seven – A2
A# Major – A#2
C Major – C3
D Seven – D3
G Seven – G3
A Minor – A3
G Major – G4
These are the patches that are included. Except for a couple of the Combinator patches, this library should work with most versions of Reason.
- Plucked Autoharp – This is the basic plucked autoharp samples. Plucked Autoharp Looped – It is the same as the Plucked Autoharp patch except loop points have been added.
- Plucked Autoharp Panned – It’s the same as the Plucked Autoharp patch except notes are slightly panned left to right across the keyboard.
- Plucked Autoharp Pan and Loop – This is a combination of both #2 and #3.
- Strummed Autoharp – These are the twelve chords of the autoharp being strummed.
- Strummed Major – The C Major chord is mapped chromatically between C3 and C4.
- Strummed Major – The C minor chord is mapped chromatically between C1 and C2.
- Strummed Seven – This A7 chord is mapped chromatically between C5 and C6.
- Chromachords – This contains NN-XT #6, #7, and #8 from above together with some effects.
- Distorted Plucked – This contains #4 NN-XT with a Line6 amp and some effects
- Harmonic Lead (Polar) – This contains #4 NN-XT with Polar and other effects.
- Vibrokeys – This uses Pulverisor to add variable vibrato to #4 NN-XT. Other effects are also included.
- Strummed basics – This is the #5 NN-XT with some effects.
Here are some examples of what this library sounds like without any effects. While these samples were recorded dry, I have made effects such as reverb and delay available in the patches.
Price – $15.00 (A download link will be e-mailed to you within 24 hours)